NGO's Are Now Morphing Into PBO's - Public Benefit Organisations
The Public Benefits Organisations Act, 2013 (the “Act”) was assented to by the President on 14th January 2013 and will come into force on such date as the Cabinet Secretary responsible for planning and national development shall appoint through a Gazette notice. The Act will repeal the Non-Governmental Organisations Co-ordination Act (the “NGO Act”) and also introduce a number of changes with regard to the operations of Non-Governmental Organisations (“NGOs”) in Kenya. The Act renames NGOs and similar organisations to public benefit organisations.
A New Dawn For Consumer Protection In Kenya - How Does It Affect You?
In December 2012, Parliament passed the Consumer Protection Act 2012 (the "Act") into law. The Act was later assented to by the President and came into force on 14 March 2013. Prior to the enactment of the Act, Kenya did not have a specific law that governs consumer protection. The main objective of the Act is to provide for the protection of the consumer and prevent unfair trade practices in consumer transactions.
In The News
The Nairobi Stock Exchange has unveiled its new board in readiness of transforming to a public company. It has appealed to The Capital Markets Authority to amend its rules to enable the Government to become a shareholder as the current law forbids it from owning shares. Members of the Exchange will be allocated 88 per cent of shares while the Government and Investor Compensation Fund will hold the remaining 12per cent.
Constitutional Implementation - New Bills Introduced To Parliament
Six crucial bills on devolution were gazetted and presented before Parliament this month with a view to being passed on 27 February 2012, in accordance with the terms of the new Constitution: